From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:28:49 -0400
8 in 1 foods

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

If you are finding 8 in 1 food that is shaped in flat circles and is very
high in grain - tell the store where it is being sold that this product has
not been manufactured like this for over a year and toss it out!  Or send it
back to the distributor for replacement.

8 in 1, as far as I know, is now only manufacturing UltraBlend.  It is in a
blue labeled bag, is triangular shaped, and has the raisin juice sticker on
it.  The ferret is a nice silver mitt.

>From:    Kirstin Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: juvenile lymphosarcoma

I'd like to know where you purchased this kit from - juvenile lymphosarcoma
can be hereditary so if the ferret came from a small breeder, the parent
combination should be avoided in the future, and if the problem exists in
another litter, the parent responsible should be sterilized.

Juvenile Lympho is very quick and different from adult versions of
lymphosarcoma.  Many adult versions can be controlled or eliminated with
chemo or pred if caught early.  I have a 7 yr old MF albino with lympho and
he is thin and old, but still puttzing around after living with this disease
for over 6 months.

Educating about ferrets and such:

Ah - one of my favorite subjects and one which if everyone on the FML wrote
a letter, we could see a lot of action as well as reaction.  Not every
letter needs to be a complaint to receive some action or response.

1.  Whether you like Marshall Farms ferrets, their breeding practices, or
not, writing to THEM about your concerns is the only way this commercial
breeder will "make" a better product.

For those individuals who have older MF pets - 4 and over - please write MF
to tell them about any medical problems that you have encountered or how
well your ferrets are doing.  MF does NOT keep any ferrets over three years
of age, so if there is an age or health issue here, they need to be
informed.  If you have a young MF ferret with a medical problem - PLEASE
write and let them know to be on the lookout for whatever you are
experiencing.  If you were upset with the lack of knowledge or information
passed on with your ferret, let MF know - they have an excellent ferret fact
sheet that is supposed to be delivered to the shops with each shipment - and
if it is not getting there, they need to know:

Marshall Farms, 5800 Lake Bluff Rd, North Rose, NY 14516

2.  You don't like the way your local pet shop displays ferrets and no one
will listen to you?  There are several things you can do:
a. Print out the FAQ for common ferret questions.  Leave it at the pet shop.
b. Buy them a copy of FERRETS USA (the 97 issue will have a great article on
wood shaving bedding by our own Trish, as well as several other articles by
FML ferreters).
c. Get the pet shop to subscribe to THE PET DEALER magazine - it is free to
pet shops and animal distributors and yours truly writes the small animal
columns.  PET AGE has Deborah Jeans' articles at times, and PET BUSINESS has
Susan Fox (who usually interviews me for ferret related articles) as their
small animal columnist.  PET PRODUCT NEWS is the only pet trade magazine
which does not have a consistent small animal or ferret free lance writer on
board.

3. Subscribe to either a local club, your state's ferret club, or a national
club's newsletter.  This way, you will have articles to copy and pass out if
situations arise that need quick action instead of waiting for someone to
mail you info.  For example, STAR* Ferrets had a nice article on the
different kinds of litters and why they should and should not be used with
ferrets in the Summer 96 issue.

4. Get a club started - e-mail me for a one page "how to" idea write-up.

===

SELLING FML STICKERS at the ferret show in Annapolis MD this Saturday, Sept
21...

I will also be premiering my new book: THE FAIRFAX FERRET.  It is a
children's story about a boy adopting a ferret, how it got lost and how he
found it.  I will be taking orders for the book.

This will also be the last time Pet Pals will be doing any adoptions or
product sales at ferret shows for the rest of the year.  My shelter is
closed due to my house being put up for sale.  When I have a new place to
live, the shelter will reopen.  STAR* Ferrets is still going strong and I am
always available for questions or support, and I will do emergency rescues.

I can be reached at [log in to unmask] or PO Box 1714, Springfield, VA
22151-0714.

Pam Grant