From:
"Byrd, Heather R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:54:18 -0400
We call this little maneuver, "spin, spin ferret".  Our deaf fuzzies (3 of
them) seem to do this the most.  They will be play fighting and just start
spinning.  It's hysterical to watch.  We have a short section of drainage
pipe that they like to play in and there will be one fuzzy butt sticking
out of each end.  As they try to bite each other, both butts will be
spinning around in the tube.  Wonder what advantage they think that gives
them??  They also find spinning in the rice box to be entertaining, as
well.

As to vaccines: I live in Florida (i'm noticing there is much debate about
vaccines in this state).  Someone had posted about rabies being required
by the state of Florida.  It is my understanding (per local vets), that
this is being reviewed.  We have gone to 3 different vets in our area for
our variety of pets and all three have basically told us, that while they
feel distemper is 100% necessary, rabies vaccines were not as necessary
for ferrets that have little or no exposure factors.  They have stated
they feel it should not be a required vaccine for ferrets.  They basically
give us the choice.  While we have 5 vaccinated for rabies, we have not
gotten our 2 youngest (4 and 5 months) vaccinated for rabies YET, only
distemper.  We are still researching this issue (btw, my partner works for
a board certified vet in our area so we are by no means ignorant on the
subject, lest someone should decide to put in their $.02 with much force
and hostility).  We are interested to see how this will play out, as
having 7 ferrets vaccinated annually for rabies is a costly venture (no
one in our area will do a 3 yr rabies anymore it seems).  Anything that
cuts down on expense is a good thing in my opinion, as long as it is not
harmful to the fuzzy.  (Being that we have 7 ferrets, 3 of them being over
3 1/2, we know we will have other expenses to incur when they get older)
Our ferrets don't often leave our home, except for vet visits and the only
ones allowed to handle them in our home are family.  As to the distemper,
I think that is too dangerous to take a chance on, it is almost 100% fatal
and there is too much of an exposure factor, even from unknown sources.
Whereas, (pardon my graphic-ness) if a rabid dog were ever able by some
god-like feat of miraculousness to get a hold of one of my babies, rabies
would be the least of my concerns, finding the rest of my fuzzy's head and
limbs would be first and foremost.  ( I am being facetious, no negative
remarks, Puh-lease!)

That is my opinion, all flames will be ignored and deleted.  I haven't
time for ignorance nor man's inhumanity to man.  (Nor man's inhumanity
to FuzzyKind!)

Heather and Becky
With Abby, Andre, Annie, Arthur, Avery (aka Sleepy), Bob and our latest
addition, Peanut (aka Peanut-Buttery)

Heather R. Byrd
First Community Insurance