From:
Peria Area Ferret Connection <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 19:33:34 -0500
The Illinois Department of Conservation in Springfield, IL has required a
permit for ferret ownership for quite a while.  Again, it sounds like these
geniuses at the pet stores are trying to brush people off again!!!  This
really hits a nerve with me.  They are too lazy to get accurate information
for the consumers, so they act STUPID!!!!!!  I guess it doesn't take much
acting.

To get a permit, call the Department of Conservation at 217-785-3423.  Tell
them that when you got your first ferret, the store told you there was no
permit required and you just learned that you do indeed need a permit.  The
people at the Department of Conservation are VERY nice and understanding.  I
have called them quite a few times.  They are always polite and willing to
help.  There is no charge for the permit.

In Illinois, ferrets are considered "exotic" which puts them under the
control of Dept. of Conservation.  We are hopefully going to petition the
state of Illinois to change their classification to "domestic" which means
you will be required by state law to have your ferret vaccinated for rabies
(something we do with our 5 ferrets anyway).

If you need anymore information, contact me at:
Peoria Area Ferret Connection
P.O. Box 923
Morton, IL  61550
309-263-7603

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

This is exactly the kind of information we at the club are trying to get out
to residents of Illinois.  If I can be of any further help, just let me know.

Thanks!!

Mary Oyer