Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 10:28:09 -0700
I need some help from all you nice ferret folks & your fuzzies again.

We just "rescued" an unwanted fuzzy from a shelter.  He has a good
disposition (not a nipper), but is very unresponsive to most things one
does to get his attention.  We think he is probably deaf.  He shows all
the signs of simply not being able to hear any noises like whistles, claps,
"paper bag rustling" etc., & he has the "classic" appearance of the type
of ferret that is usually afflicted (panda coloring, wide-set eyes & white
pawtips).

We would like to reward him for good behavior & possibly teach him to come
to us, be we can not find a food treat that he likes!  We have tried all
the standards - peanut butter, ferretvite, raisins & all kinds of dried
fruit, banana chips, bits of chicken, cereal, canned soft ferret food &
every kind & brand of ferret treat made.  He was on a diet of mixed food at
the shelter - 8in1 Pro, Marshall, Totally Ferret & Kitten Chow & he eats
ALL of this stuff out of his bowl (not finicky there) but we can not find
anything "special" that he seems to really like!

Any suggestions?  Please don't bother to suggest any commercially available
ferret treats, as the shelter sent a bag of "mixed treats" home & we can
see that it contained some of everything our beloved first fuzzy enjoyed
(& flat-out did not like) & we purchased everything out there at one time
or another for him, so all that Shepperd & Greene & Kaytee & other stuff
has been offered - & rejected.

We're currently "rewarding" him with lovin' & back scritches, but we'd like
to find something tasty for him to nibble & are at a complete loss over a
fuzzy who rejects raisins & peanut butter!  Anybody out there have a carpet
shark who doesn't like ANY of the standard yummies?  And what DOES he/she
like as a treat?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Lisa

P.S.  - It's NOT that he will just not take the proffered treat from US -
we can leave these items in his bowl & he eats his ferret chow & leaves
the "treats" behind.  He has also eaten bits of regular Marshall from our
fingers, so we gotta rule-out a "no candy from strangers" phobia.  ;>)