From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:50:59 -0500
Danielle, a big public "thank you!" for your tireless efforts in trying to
resolve (or at least get to the bottom of) the MF issues so many of us are
concerned about.  Even those who don't agree with Danielle or me on the MF
debate should still appreciate her willingness to go the extra mile, to
make such an effort to get real information and not just rumors, and not
only make the effort to have a detailed conversation with a MF higher-up
but also to share the results with everybody on this list!  Danielle has
now spoken to someone in a position of pretty high authority at MF, and
has opened up a friendly line of communication with someone who can bring
ferret lovers' concerns to the MF Board meetings.  This is probably going
to turn out to be absolutely priceless.

This is a message that MF is listening to what we say.  THIS IS HOW WE GET
TOGETHER AND AFFECT CHANGE.  A seed has been planted for MF to consider
giving some donations toward the shelters that are full of "dumped" MF
ferrets.  I support this wholeheartedly.  Euthanizing the breeders is not
acceptable to me as a ferret lover.  I don't want to look at my beloved
ferrets and have to wonder if their mom was killed once her usefulness
wore out.  I personally would like to see MF set up a "shelter" right on
their own site and take care of the retired breeders themselves until they
get adopted, because they already burden the existing shelters enough.  We
can encourage them to consult with shelters on implementing this, so that
shelter directors have some say in how this is done, and advise that the
people who care for the "retired" jills be trained by a shelter director.
I would also like to see them only breed a jill once or twice before
"retiring" her (because what shelter can handle a stream of jills whose
bodies are so worn out from producing litter after litter that their
health problems and vet bill are extreme?).

It's important to know that MF is aware of the early spay/early shipping
issue and someone in an executive office has confirmed that they are aware
this is a problem.  NOW IS THE TIME FOR OTHERS TO STEP IN.  Now is the
time to write to MF and show just how many others are concerned about this
as well, and let them know, as Danielle did, that we expect to see this
change sooner rather than later.  They owe it to the ferrets to not drag
their feet on correcting this mistake.

Now is the time to write and remind them that shipping ferrets too young
won't be accepted, that it was MF's decision to change procedure and start
shipping kits so young, and if they agree that it's a bad idea, it's their
responsibility to correct this mistake quickly even if it means losing
some dollars in the process.  In my letter, I plan to explain that it
would be beneficial in the long run for them to clear this up as quickly
as possible and return to a policy of shipping them at 8-10 weeks, because
there are so many ferret owners who would feel much more kindly toward
them (and their ferret products) if they follow through and find ways to
change this problem, and more first-time ferret owners who would be a lot
happier with older, healthier babies.

The door is open, guys.  Danielle has done a fantastic job of opening a
line of communication and finding someone who will listen to concerns of
ferret lovers and listen to how we would like to see change affected by
MF.  THIS IS A GREAT THING! and not an easy thing to do, so thank you
again Danielle.  Now we have at least one person at MF who we know is
willing to listen to concerned ferret owners and shelter directors and
the thousands of ferret rescuers.  Let's put our money where our mouths
are and take some action!  Write to Peter Reid, who is willing to listen,
and let him know where our concerns are.  If anyone would like a
proof-read of their letter before mailing it, I'll happily offer my
services.

Don't make Danielle be our only voice.  There are things we'd all like to
say on behalf of our ferrets.  Write a letter (a courteous, well-worded,
reasonable one) and share your thoughts as a ferret owner or a rescue
worker.  Include details about rescue work, and let MF know how hard some
of us work to save ferrets who were discarded because they are marketed
as an "impulse item".  If you've seen helpless, hairless, 4-week-old kits
in a pet store, don't just describe the situation...tell them how it made
you FEEL.  There is nothing negative about sharing your feelings in a
controlled and reasonable way.  No company, especially one that is
dependant on you to buy their products, will be happy to know that you
felt pure rage or utter heartbreak when you saw a tank full of too-young
babies gumming their food because their teeth haven't broken through yet.
If it broke your heart, or even made you cry, TELL THEM.  No company wants
to hear that looking at their "product" made you upset.  Telling MF how
much you love and cherish ferrets is beneficial.  Your feelings = concern
on their part that their methods and procedures are upsetting a potential
customer.

I know we've discussed how other farms are no better.  And they're not, in
part because there's no law saying that they have to be.  But consider
this: if we can work together, share our feelings and concerns with MF and
encourage them to be a much better breeder and ferret source, we may end
up in a position where we can SUPPORT them as a breeder and encourage
ferret fanciers and pet stores not to buy from other breeders until they,
too, make similar changes.  If MF will listen, understand our concerns,
and make changes accordingly to give these ferrets a better start, a
better chance, a better life...it may have a domino effect on ALL ferret
breeders.  It's worth a shot!!  In a relationship between a company and
it's "target" consumers (that's us, whether we appreciate being it or
not), the consumer's demands and concerns have to take the place of rules
and regulations when there aren't any.  Let's use a powerful tool - our
power as consumers - and convince at least one ferret breeder to make
changes.  The fact that they are aware of some of these problems is a
VERY encouraging sign.  It allows for the possibility of ferret owners
affecting change through a friendly relationship rather than an
adversarial one.

Never underestimate your power as a consumer.  In this country, it's one
of your strongest weapons; your right NOT to consume, and companies live
in fear of their customer base taking their business elsewhere.  I'm not
saying that I'm delighted that that is the only way to affect real change;
it's just the reality.  But it works.

As my exasperated-with-me vet likes to say, "You can't save them all" but
a door has been opened and we should rise to the occasion if we're so
inclined.  Time to write a letter.  Time to join in and be part of a voice
that rises above squabbles and disagreements and says in a loud roar,
"FERRETS ARE PEOPLE TOO!"

-Heather