Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:38:50 -0500
Hi all,

I have just had my first baby diagnosed with Adrenal Disease.  I have
opted to have the surgery, but I'm a little nervous.  (ok, I'm scared to
heck).  He's an experience vet and seems knowledgeable.  He is also the
vet the local shelter uses.  He has told me that it can re-accure in the
other gland, so I know it's not a for sure cure, but at least for now.
Can anyone tell me what to expect afterwards?  Will she have to have
special food or anything like that?  (i.e.: duck soup) How do you keep a
ferret "quiet"?  And what really has me concerned is that before we went
to the vet she was running all over and climbing my daughter an I like a
monkey.  After we started discussing surgery she cuddled into my arms and
dozed.  Just how much do ferrets understand?  This is a super ferret that
never sleeps or cuddles.  Ok, really she was sleeping all the time last
month, but now she's a ball of energy.  But she never cuddles.  Not ever.
She let me hold her and didn't seem to want to move for almost an hour
today, after we talked to the vet.  And one more question for the vets
out there.  My vet gave me an "out the door price" with a few options.
One of which was "monitoring during surgery".  Isn't this a normal
procedure?  Why would anyone do surgery and not keep track of heart and
respirations?  This seems weird to me, but I've never had an animal of
mine have to have surgery.  (yes, I opted to have her monitored during
and after surgery).

Ok, this is long enough.  I'm making myself more scared, I think, the
more I "talk" about it.

Thanks,
Shelley