From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:38:25 -0400
Feeding the sick ferret:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/babyfood.html (a vet's site)
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

We find a/d a great way to add weight to sick ones who are losing too
much weight unless bird seed stools are present.  Your vet will sell
that.

April writes:
>This is why I listed the concentrations of everything-lots of times when
>people post med dosages on the list, they only give the AMOUNT they're
>giving, i.e. "0.2 cc of prednisone," but not the dose-"0.2 cc of
>prednisone"-means nothing if you don't know the concentration, i.e.
>"2.5 mg/ml, to give 0.5 mg of prednisone with each 0.2 cc dose.")

Amen to THAT!  Meds come in an assortment of concentrations even in
standard pharmacies, and when compounding pharmacies are used the range
widens greatly!  Giving just the volume measurement tells nothing.
Worse, someone may assume a concentration from the volume and reply in
relation to a different concentration which can be dangerous.

Folks should note that April was careful to put a "0" before the ".",
writing ""0.2" instead of ".2".  That is also important.  Having that "0"
there prevents two tenths from being accidentally misread as being two.

Those are both VERY important things to remember: give the mg level of
the med, or give the volume (cc or ml) AND then give the concentration
of the med: X mg per Y ml.