From:
Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:02:21 -0500
In late October, we noticed that our six year old female, Valentine had
a swollen vulva, a sign of adrenal disease.  It was about the size of
an M&M!  We took her to the South Orange Animal Clinic in Orlando.

First, a bit of a digression.  Our Number One ferret vet is Dr Jeff
Shaffer, to whom we have taken our ferrets in the past.  However, Dr Jeff
is in Oviedo, about 40 miles from us.  A few years ago, I jokingly asked
him why he couldn't move a bit closer to the south Orlando area.  He
told us about the South Orange clinic.  The two main vets there were
classmates and personal friends of his, and he assured us that they would
contact him if they felt it was necessary.  They have, indeed, done so on
more than on occasion when we have gone to them with our other ferrets.
A couple of times they have taken a look at them and said, "Just a
minute.  I'm going to call Dr Jeff." This gives us a very high comfort
level when dealing with them.

Even before we took Valentine to them this time, they contacted Dr Jeff
about her condition, and he recommended that we try Lupron.  Valentine
was given a shot in late October and another one in late November, with
a warning to keep an eye on her condition.  Her vulva has shrunken
dramatically since the shots.  The three vets were together over the
Thanksgiving holiday and Valentine was a topic of conversation.  Don't
you love it when the people treating your critters actually CARE about
them?  Their collective opinion is to watch her, and if there is any
change she may need another shot in three to six months.

The cost of each shot was $55.00.  Considerably less than an operation
and probably less than a constant dosing of Lysodren.  Valentine has
shown absolutely no adverse reaction and doing very well.  She did hook
her teeth on the door of the pet carrier and shook it the second time
she was taken to the clinic.  She must have known what was coming.
Apparently, she does not like being poked with a needle.

If you have a ferret showing signs of adrenal problems, keep Lupron in
mind as an option for treatment.

On a personal note, I want to wish all the ferret folks on the FML a
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Special wishes go out to the
shelter operators, who watch over the sick and homeless.  And last, but
CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, to BIG who works every day of the year to bring us
this great resource.  Last year, I posted that he should at least take
Christmas Day off.  He, of course, declined and on Christmas Day, and
every other holiday, the FML appeared in all our In boxes.  Thanks, BIG.
We love you!

Charles, Aggie, Valentine and Fifi.
Missing Cujo, Bandit and Snowball