Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:54:38 -0400
Permission to cross post the following information to other lists is
granted, as long as the post is taken in it entirety, with out any
changes or additions.

There is another concern that has come up recently about donations made
to ADV research through the University Foundation.  In this post I will
address that issue and hopefully put to rest people's worries.

There have been some problems between the University of Georgia
Administration and the University Foundation.  According to newspaper
article I read several months ago, the disagreement came about because
the Board of Directors of the University Foundation is made up mostly of
UGA Boosters, and they were unhappy with the President of the UGA for
firing one of the coaches.

According to the same article, the University Foundation had been sending
out letters to the alumni urging them not to make contributions until the
President of the University resigned.  Now remember, the sole purpose of
the University Foundation is to raise money for the UGA, and here they
were telling people not to contribute.

Because of the problems, the Georgia Board of Regents stepped in earlier
this year, and ordered the UGA to sever all ties with the University
Foundation, and to set up another non-profit group to handle the
fundraising.

I have recently corresponded with Kate, and she has assured me that at
this time the UGA Administration and the University Foundation are back
trying to work out their differences, and so, for the time being at
least, donations should still be made out to University Foundation.

However, even if the 2 organizations can not work out their differences,
there is no need to worry that checks sent payable to the University
Foundation will not be turned over to the UGA.  If the University
Foundation did not turn over all funds, they would be in violation of
several laws, and would also be in trouble with the IRS.  Because they
are a 501(c)(3) organization, if they use the funds for something else,
they would also be in violation of tax laws..  Since the members of their
Board are likely prominent citizens, they would not be interested in the
kind of problems not turning over the money would create.

I am sure Kate will let me know if there are any changes, and if there is
a different way we should make out our checks.  And, I hope that this
post will lessen some peoples' worries.  Money that has been contributed
through the University Foundation will be turned over to the UGA if they
can not work things out.

Tomorrow I will start to pass on information about recent progress in the
research project, and leave discussion of how to make donations behind.

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator