Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:40:53 -0500
As for skunks there is no proven vaccine that can be used on them.  They
do not carry rabies.  If one should get rabies they will die before a 10
day quarantine would be up.  I have three that live in my home with me.
Skunks can be owned with proper license from wildlife if you live in
legal states.  They must be bought from a breeder.  For a skunk to be
considered domestic they must have 7 generations raised in captivity.
Most are descented by the breeder at 3 weeks of age.  Some pet stores
sell them with the proper license.  There is no commercial food out there
that is right for a skunk.  Those of that do have skunks make their food
for them and lots of fresh veggies.  They eat 50% veggies and 40% what
we make for them and 10% snacks like popcorn with out all the butter and
salt added to it.

If any one should have any questions please feel free to contact me
and I can tell you as a representative of the American Domestic Skunk
Association here in Florida.  Skunks are legal in different states with
permits and some limits.  The National president is located in GA.

Katrina Owens
http://community.webshots.com/user/kensangel3

[Moderator's note: Just in case people are tempted to get really cozy
with a wild skunk based on the above info, here's another opinion.  The
following web page from the Centers of Disease Control states, among
other things:

 ...The 2,223 cases of rabies in skunks (mainly M mephitis) reported from
37 states in 2000 were a 7.1% increase over those reported in 1999...
Fifteen states reported increases in numbers of rabid skunks.  Only
Texas (186.5%; 192 cases in 1999 to 550 cases in 2000) reported an
increase of > 100%.  Florida (1 case), New Mexico (9), and New York
City (9) reported cases in 2000 but not in 1999...

Quoted from:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/professional/publications/
Surveillance/Suveillance00/text00.htm           BIG]