Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 11:04:13 -0400
--On Friday, May 15, 1998, 2:00 AM -0400 "Automatic digest processor"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Syrup of Ipecac: To force vomitting if they've eaten something dangerous.

I'm sorry, I should have put this with my other comment.

What is a safe dosage of ipecac for a ferret? I know it's a poison for
children if they take too much.  It causes violent retching until every last
bit of it is gone -- I'd only use it for extreme emergencies.

Also, it's important to know when and when *not* to induce vomiting.  For
children, they tell you not to induce vomiting if they've ingested any kind
of petroleum product (lamp oil for example) as even a small amount inhaled
into the lungs is extremely dangerous.  Also, they don't want you inducing
vomiting if something caustic was taken as it will cause damage as it comes
back up again and there is a change of perforating something with the
violent retching from vomiting.

--Barb--