From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:25:02 -0700
Hello everyone.  well... The time is drawing nearer for Bugz.  though I
am not looking forward to this.  Bugz is our almost 12 year old albino
ferret.  He has cardiomyopathy, a healed broken tail and an ear that has
long ago been torn off.  He came to us at 8 years old.  a ferret no one
would want.  but we did.  his personality and his love sets him apart
from everyone.

While I was gone on vacation he crashed once.  Shawn was there with him
to help him through it.  When I came back on Sunday I noticed he had lost
weight and that he would sometimes walk in circles.  Yesterday I had to
go to the store after work, I got home around 6:30 pm.  Bugz was on the
floor in the living room going in circles - like chasing his tail type of
circle -to the left.  I tried to hold him and calm him, that didn't work.
I got the torb and gave it to Bugz.  Bugz decided that he would pee all
over me.  I set Bugz down and he continued in circles for what seemed
like hours though was only about 5 minutes.  I was flipping out thinking
if I had to take him to the vet to be put to sleep what would I tell
Shawn - he was at work.  I didn't want to have to do that alone.  Bugz
was scared.  You could see it.  I don't know how long he had been going
in circles and he sure wasn't about to tell me.  He didn't want to be
held or anything.

I called Mary H. and explained what was happening and what I had done.
She had me try to get his heart rate (but he would sit still long
enough).  She had me pinch his back toe to see if he had feeling in it
(he did).  She had me look into his eyes with a flashlight.but trying to
look into an ALBINOS eyes while he doesn't want to stay still is like
giving medication to them!  He did eat some treats for me.  boy loves his
treats.  torb. normally takes about 10 minutes to work and I gave him a
larger dose because nothing slows him down (he's had it before).  About
10 minutes later he fell asleep on the floor.  I picked him up and held
him while talking to Mary.  Then he started shivering while sleeping so
I hung up with Mary and took bugz to go get the heating pad.  Well that
was enough to wake him up and he wouldn't go back to sleep.

I kept crying while trying to get him to lay down finally I said fine,
run around.  I kept an eye on him and still tried but didn't want to
stress him out and knew putting him in the cage wouldn't be the right
answer.  He went near one of the soup bowls so I thought... hmmm wonder
if he'd eat.  I made a bowl of soup with meds in it.  I cornered him on
his left turn into the kitchen.  And to my surprise he ate the whole
thing.  He stayed going in circles though.  About 30 minutes later he
went to be behind the frig and went to sleep.  I put him to bed and let
another group out.  When Shawn came home I explained what happened.  I
believe he had a mild stroke or as Mary said, it may be neurological.
We let Bugz back out and he was doing fine.

I also saw two things I hadn't seen before.  When he was sleeping on my
lap it looking like the vein that runs near his right eye bulged.  It
went up over his head and stopped right passed the ear.  It did that 4
times.  And that was it.  Could it have been a blood clot?

The other thing I saw was his eyes.  I took him to the bathroom to see
them.  They were "twitching" from side to side.  Not a lot of movement.
You wouldn't have noticed it unless you really looked.  Could that be
neurological?

Bugz is doing ok this morning.  I know it is going to be touch and go
with him.  And I know that my time with him is short.  I also know that
he has had a wonderful life with us and I wouldn't trade it for the
world.  He will be 12 years old September 5.

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter