From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:44:16 EDT
Dear Katrina,
Congratulations on your acceptance to U of M.  I grew up in Michigan (moved
to Md in 1987) and wanted to attend U of M as well.  They have a great
veteranary program.  I also envy you!  I am twenty-nine and never considered
being anything else than a vet until I realized that I would have to digest
a living frog.  I still don't know if I can do it but I don't want to get to
the end of the road and regret never having tried.  Even though I know that
the death of one will benefit many others I just keep thinking God forgive
me, God forgive me....I can't believe that one frog stands between me and my
dream!  I think this may be cause to return to therapy!  I started seeing a
therapist on the advice of friends because everyone felt that I was
"abnormally" attached to animals.  Although I did not feel that their was
anything wrong with my views toward animals I did hope that they could help
me with other related problems.  For instance, I was on the verge of a
nervous break down when the Exxon dumped all that oil in Prince William
Sound and they kept showing the footage of the animals over and over again.
Not to mention just driving down the road is often VERY stressful for me
when I see the animals along side the road like a heap of trash.  I can't
believe that some people run them down and just keep going.  I realize that
sometimes nothing can be done but I don't understand why they just leave
their little bodies in the road to be mutilated.  I know that the body is
just a shell and the soul is what really matters but I don't care I still
can't stand to see them laying there.  I spend nights wondering if it was a
female and if there are some baby's starving somewhere calling for their
mother.  Well, enough of that!  I have decided to give it a try no matter
how much therapy it takes to get me to the point that I cut into a frog.  As
it is, my head tells me that it is for a greater cause but my heart still
crys murder!  I am going to make an appointment to see a counselor and see
what credits I can transfer and what I still need (it will be a lot I'm
sure).  Thanks for lighting the fire again.  Good Luck!!!

God Bless and Love to All,
        Irena...Lucy and Chelsea's mom