From:
Liz King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:31:25 -0500
First of all, I would like to thank all of you who responded to my
questions about the low blood sugar in my ferret, and my other question
about fasting before surgery. Ferret people are amazing!

His first test was 2.1 Canadian or 38 US. He had not eaten for about
6 hours that day and we were at the vets for a routine checkup.

I took him back today and did not do the fast. Fasting or not seems
to be controversial with vets. Most of you suggested not to fast. Dr.
Bruce Williams in his literature seems to think it does not matter,
and I have faith in him.

Today the test came back 4.46 Canadian and 80.26 American.

I have been doing some research and some of it suggests that anything
lower than 3.85 Canadian or 70 US is a cause for concern. Even there,
there are differences of opinion.

I am somewhat comforted by today's test, but realize we may not be out
of the woods yet. As I stated in my original, post, he shows so signs
of insulinoma, but I realize now that does not mean anything.

Since he is scheduled for a dentistry in about 3 weeks, we are doing
another blood test several days before.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will be sleeping better tonight...

Liz