From:
punchbug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:37:08 -0800
>From:    Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
>My friend, June, has 4 ferrets, a cat(Niblet) and a dog(Christmas).  No
>problem.  Nib is an elderly declawed male.  June has adopted a new 1 year
>old female cat who is still nameless and who still has her claws.  She
>called & asked if I would ask if it would be best to have her new cat
>declawed because of the ferrets.  Yes?  No?

NO!!!!!!!

PLEASE, I IMPLORE you to discourage declawing of the cat!!!!  The declawing
of cats is mutilation!  People don't understand that it's not just the claw
that is removed... it is the entire first knuckle joint.  Recovery from
surgery is very painful and distressful for the cat as they have to learn
to walk again since the ends of their toes are amputated.  Cats that are
declawed often turn to BITING.  They KNOW they don't have claws as a means
of self defense so they often become biters.  Cats use their claws not
only as a means of self defense but also to help them scale trees and
fences to get out of harms way.  What if that cat got outside???  What if
circumstances force her to find a new home for this cat in the future?
What is the guarantee that another person would keep this cat INDOORS
where it was relatively safe?

Cats and ferrets can and DO live peacefully together.  I have NINE cats and
five ferrets.  One of my cats actually plays with the ferrets.  They roll
on the floor, tumbling about, chasing one another.  All of my cats have
their claws.  It's all play.  The other eight cats just jump up out of the
way of the ferrets.  I worry more about the ferrets antagonizing the cats
than the cats antagonizing the ferrets!  There is no reason in the world
that your friend can't simply trim the cats nails with a pair of nail
clippers.... being sure not to cut into the quick.

And, (I'm sorry but this topic really winds me up), WHY do people feel
they need to remove part of an animal to make it "acceptable"?  They cut
off cats toes, hack off the ends of puppy tails, trim off puppy ears,....
who are we trying to please here??  Some people even have the vocal cords
of dogs so that they can't bark!  Then we have the clipping of ferret
teeth.... Mother Nature must surely be crying!  I don't care what clean
sounding surgical name we have for these procedures... animals don't need
to be improved upon!

Please, check out these websites, show them to your friend, print them...
do whatever it takes to help abolish this practice!  I guarantee you, if
you read these articles, you will gain a whole new insight into declawing!

http://www.declawing.com/     A Veterinarians View

http://www.felinefuture.com/catcare/declawing.html

http://www.cfainc.org/health/declawing.html

http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
DECLAWING CATS: Issues & Alternatives

http://www.maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm
The Facts About Declawing) (Feline Digital Amputation - Onychectomy)

I really hope that your friend makes the decision that best serves the cat!

Renee