Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:37:11 -0400
I was reading some of the postings on regulation of breeders. As a dog
breeder ( go ahead and trash me) I breed because I cannot obtain my
breed with an acceptable temperment to live with. Yes I do all the
"right things" that were spit upon but as a veterinarian I know that
regulation won't solve the problems. There will always be those that do
for the wrong reason. They slip under the wire now and they will slip
under the wire with even more legislation. Yes it MIGHT improve
conditions but it will not improve genetic health, temperment, etc.
which is alot of the problem. Legislation can only go so far without
stepping on civil rights. I would hate to have to drastically increase
the cost of puppies to cover more requirements when I am one of the
ones that comply. I hope I serve my purchasers well by providing a dog
they can actually live with. Yes there's lots of pets in the world
already but many people wish to purchase purebred dogs as they are more
predictable in characteristics. Some need certain limits in coat care,
some need certain temperment characteristics, etc. Just as each person
has their own wants for their housing, cars, hairstyle, mate, etc, many
wish to share their lives and home with a certain type of pet. There is
a reason only 1 out of 10 dogs are still in their original homes by one
year of age. People didn't get what they were expecting or needed.
That's the reality of the situation. That is also the reason most
service dogs are purebred - predictability. I'm not here to say whether
it is right or not it's just the way the public is. Education is the
key. How to select and where to go. People need to have information
shoved right in front of their faces.

Organizations can pressure poor breeders, educate the public to help
their species. Sometimes educating the bad breeders helps as does
encouraging buyers to file complaints when warrented. I do this
routinely providing clients with a contact number for the dept. of Ag.
I can assure you that in 26 years I know that penalizing those that
try hard will not correct the underhanded seedy breeders.

I know this is a ferret coloumn and I'm sorry to post a somewhat dog
related column but wanted to add my 2 cents.

Go ferrets go!