Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:48:58 -0500
CORRECTION: I had a mail today which led me into a search to see if
what I originally thought was right before being corrected last night
really was right...

So, learn but then unlearn and then unlearn and relearn. LOL! BUT...

Even well trusted vet experts can sometimes be wrong, and I am afraid
my dear friend was last night on the origin of the current Nobivac
distemper vaccine as opposed to its name. This is why I tend to keep
names out of public posts; EVERYONE makes a mistake here of there.
Heck, if I had a dime for each mistake I've made...

Here is the "BUT". Another website, a Merck one makes the two look
very different. Perhaps in some parts of the world the labeling is
different? Perhaps that website is older and in need of correction?
This is one that gives a different picture:
<http://www.merck-animal-health.com/species/companion-animals/vaccines.aspx>

Okay, that IS the branch of Merck which is OUTSIDE the US and Canada,
so it would be interesting to see if the names are used differently in
other locations as sometimes happens w drug names.

The NAME Nobivac was from one company in the merger but according to
THIS the vaccine itself IS from the other company:

http://usa.nobivac.com/nobivac-canine-vaccines.asp

says

"Nobivac(R) Canine 1-DAPPv
For the vaccination of healthy dogs against canine distemper,
adenovirus, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus. Formerly known
as Galaxy(R) DA2PPv."

and

"Nobivac is the property of Intervet Inc. or affiliated companies
or licensors and is protected by copyrights, trademark and other
intellectual property laws. Copyright (C) 2010 Intervet Inc., a
subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc., Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA. All
rights reserved."

In some other things I could make out that Nobivac was the rabies line
of one company before the merger, so in this case it appears to be that
they used the vaccine line name from one company but the formulation
from the other company.

Big OPPS! Sorry. We all do this, though. We hear things from people
we trust and then do not seek out reliable source links. This is the
company's own link, so should be trustworthy. However, in this case
it looks like PERHAPS the name, Nobivac, is used differently outside
the U.S. and Canada, which could itself cause some confusion.

Yesterday I was able to include links to reputable sources for most
of the info I sent until my eye wore out. When it wears out I just
can not skim so searching is out till it is once again rested.

To find this info I used the search term

merger +vaccines +Nobivac d +Galaxy

in Google, so, please, feel free to look further that way of with other
terms or search engines because my eye is wearing out again.

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/