Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:00:14 -0700
I would say that anyone who buys almost ANY kind of commercial "ferret"
treat is doing their ferret an injustice.  I have yet to see any
commercial treats which have ingredients that are truly healthy for
ferrets.  Read the side of the box.  It gets scary.

Yogurt?  Fruits and veggies?  Any kind of sugar or vegetable fiber is not
what you want to give your ferrets as treats, or anytime for that matter.
Sugars are thought to initiate insulinoma in ferrets.  Why would you give
them ANY kinds of sugars?  And vegetables - especially vegetables like
green beans, celery, and carrots - have fiber which can cause blockages.
Ferrets are not omnivores, and their systems do not handle these foods
very well.  I have seen ferret foods which contain many of these kinds of
ingredients.  You would think that the people who make ferret food and
treats would do a bit of scientific research before they put out their
products.  We just naturally assume that these products are good for
ferrets because, after all, it says "ferret" on the bag or box.  It can
be a dangerous assumption to make.

If you want to give your ferrets treats, give them healthy treats, such
as meats.  I am not defending or attacking the 8 In 1 products, but I
think more harm is done to ferrets by giving them inappropriate and
unhealthy treats, than by giving them defective commercial products.
As I see it, almost ALL commercial treats are pretty much "defective".

My two cents...

Roary
Albuquerque, NM
blog - http://ferretphilosophy.blogspot.com/