Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:15:31 -0400
>I'm not sure about Stevia as an electrolyte replacer.  I've wanted to
>try it as a sweetener for myself, since I'm allergic to all artificial
>sweeteners, but have waited to see if there were any bad reports from it,
>first.

I've been using stevia (for myself, not the ferrets) for a few years now,
and I love it!  It's healthier than sugar (or artificial sweeteners),
and really not that expensive.  Sometimes I buy it in powdered or liquid
refined form ..  and sometimes, I buy green stevia and tincture it in some
vodka myself.  The resulting tincture tastes a bit like brandy ... and
since it's potent enough that I only use a drop or two at a time, I never
really feel any effects from the alcohol (hiccup) ;->

I've never given it to ferrets, but that's just because I've never had a
need to sweeten anything I've given them, other than a touch of molasses in
Scooter's duck soup.  I've read that diabetics react to stevia when they
first use it as if it were sugar, but then "adjust" to it, and don't get
a "sugar reaction" from it.

You can get a lot more information about stevia from the Web or one of the
herb mailing lists, if you are interested.

- Ela

Ela Heyn
Harborside Mail Stop 3024
201-860-3336