From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:40:49 -0400
    I got a call last night concerning an incident in Turners Falls Mass.
From talking to the person whose ferrets were seized, the police drove
down the alley way behind his apartment and spotted his two ferrets in a
cage on the back porch.  They then came back later with the conservation
people to confiscate the animals.  They took the cage as well, which he
was told he would get back, but they wouldn't give him any information re
the fuzzies except to say that they would do the best that they could to
transport them out of state.  He was afraid from their manner that if he
said any more he might be arrested.  [Tonight we have word that they are
safe in New Hampshire]

    This morning he called the papers and the "Springfield Union News"
picked up on the story and sent out both a photographer and a reporter.
The photographer got a picture of Ken with his puppy, and he was able to
tell the reporter the story of what happened.  The photographer in
particular was quite concerned about what had happened, and the reporter
then also called here to find out more about ferrets.  I think from
everything that I have heard so far we will have a GOOD story about the
fuzzies in the paper tomorrow, along with some very good reasons why
House Bill 295 should be made law.

    I haven't been able to get in touch with the Fisheries and Wildlife
people as yet but my understanding from previous conversations is that
their policy is to confiscate a ferret only if their is a biting incident,
or a complaint from neighbors which forces them to take action.  There are
just too many ferrets in Mass, they now realize for the most part that the
danger is nonexistent, and for the most part they have better things to do.

    I also gave the reporter the ferret hot line number (617) 224-1098
maintained by the Mass Friends of the Domestic Ferret, and ended with a
request that the most important thing that people can do right now is to
call their State Senator.