From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 03:58:14 -0400
Bill included me in this discussion for some odd reason, and his comment
was:

>Sure.  I have ferrets that like to play "catch".  In the case in question
>a woman was playing what she calls "cat".  You hold the ferret belly up,
>toss him up a few inches and he'll twist around and you catch him belly
>down.  Like a cat that always lands on its feet.  Its not cruel.  It was
>probably not a great idea only because of location.  Just cited you as
>first in the list that admit to playing with your ferrets."

The game I play with my ferrets is only a couple of inches off of a
carpeted floor.  I wouldn't EVER hold a ferret belly up and expect them to
twist midair AND that I would catch them safely.  I realize ferrets aren't
made of glass, but I (as in me myself, personally) would feel uneasy about
that kind of play.  I was responding ONLY to the fact that you can play a
sort of safe catch game, and that's perfectly alright.  However, had I been
at the ferret show and seen what the first poster related, I too would have
been just as horrified.  I've never seen any positive reaction from a
ferret through negative reinforcement or discipline, nor do I advocate it
in any way.

Sincerely,
Robynn McCarthy