Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:33:37 -0400
Rocky is now 7 1/2 yrs. old, and has had insulinoma for 1 1/2 yrs,
controlled by medication. As far as I know, he has no other illnesses.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but

How much CG should I feed (large ice cubes) him? I feed Rocky 4 times
a day, and he gets 1/2 cube + about 1/2 tsp of chicken baby food with
water. For his two bigger meals he also gets some chicken chunks and
a tsp. of heavy cream with his meds. He gets a couple of treats a day.
I have to go find him and bring him his food (or vice versa) as he is
free roam and has several sleeping spots. And since 3 of his meals have
to be timed (2 before meds and 1 with melatonin) I can't just leave
out a big bowl. He stopped eating kibble entirely last year. He always
preferred raw chicken or CG to kibble. Also likes chicken baby food and
egg yolks and heavy cream. He used to like canned kitten food before I
started cooking for him LOL! And as a special treat, he likes those
giant cockroaches, which he still manages to catch on occasion.
Fortunately, I don't get too many of them.

He has gained weight, but it happened when one vet put him on a huge
dose of pred at the beginning of his treatment. He's much less bloated
since the dose was lowered and diazoxide added, but he's still a full
pound heavier than before he had insulinoma. Meanwhile the vet I see
now, who's the best of the bunch, told me last year NOT to feed him
3 times a day, only 2 times. But I listened to you guys instead and
started feeding him 4 times a day and he was doing so much better that
his pred was lowered again.

I'm not sure how to tell if he's hungry because if his blood sugar
drops, he might just sleep instead of looking for food. Or, on the
other hand if I'm feeding him too much and that's why he's gained
weight. He eats everything I give him. Though the extra weight doesn't
help with his weakened rear legs, I'm reluctant to put a ferret with
insulinoma on a diet to lose weight, especially since I don't know how
much is bloat and how much could be increased appetite caused by pred.

BTW, I was never able to test his BG myself. I just couldn't get enough
blood.

Another question about Bob's CG: Should I eliminate Ferretvite and/ or
honey?

Now, a poop question. Since he's been sick and on the above diet and
meds, he never seems to make a complete poop but instead several little
ones more frequently. Is there something wrong with him? The poop isn't
hard, so it doesn't seem to be constipation but he does often make a
funny noise when he tries.

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you all for being so patient and
supportive of me throughout the years.

Shron & Rocky