Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 1994 10:04:01 -0500
To Jen:

>I've been lurking out here for awhile and finally have a question.  My three
>furries have recently discovered the joys of pineapple bits, and can't seem to
>get enough of them.  I try to limit them to 1 or 2 bits a day.  So, the ques-
>tion is -- does anyone know if there are any hazards with dried fruit such as
>pineapple, etc. After a piece or two, the boys end up with (attractive) pine-
>apple colored and textured stools.  In addition, one of the dudes has a non-
>functioning pancreas and survives quite happily with the help of Viokase-V;
>should I be extra restrictive on the sweet treats with him?

        I would keep it to no more than 1 or two a day.  Most fruits cause no
problem, buyt in drying them, we do tend to concentrate the pesticides, etc.
That is why I went from raisins back to grapes with mine.  But I can't think of
any major problems that you will encounter.
        As far as your pet with pacreatic insufficiency, actually fresh
pineapple is better.  Pineaplle contains its own enzymes in the juice and will
help to digest things already in the stomach.  But since he can't digest the
fiber in the fruit, still, only 1 or two pieces a day.  You can tell when you
have fed something you shouldn't to this ferret - it will pass through largely
undigested, and you will see bulky, soft, often foul-smelling stools.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000