Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:15:09 +0100
I know exactly what you are talking about when you spoke of getting the vet
to confirm the deafness of your ferret!  I too tried, unsuccessfully, to
have my vet certify that my little Mushu was indeed deaf.  Same thing
happened...

With the numbers of deaf ferrets out there you would think that their must
be some more reliable way to test for deafness in our little four legged
friends that is reasonable and cost effective.

But in the meantime I am left with a feeling that I am nuts.  Yes, I am
told, she *may be* deaf, but she can't say for sure, as she continues in
a skeptical voice.... It may just be that Mushu can't hear certain
frequencies....

In the meantime, I can SEE that she can't hear.  In the meantime, I can
HEAR by her sudden yelp that she is surprised by something because she
didn't hear it coming, because her head was under a blanket.  In the
meantime, I can TELL by her behaviour that she does not respond to the
squeaky toy, a blast into a whistle, or my shriek of a scream.  I can SEE
by the way she moves her head that she is making herself constantly aware
of her surroundings.  Is my word so off the mark, that the vet, or any vet
for that matter, should doubt what I KNOW to be true?  What kind of proof
is the vet asking or looking for?  If anyone should know if she is hearing
impaired or not, it should be me.

Believe me, I know the difference between a surprised ferret that can hear
and one that is deaf.  I know the difference between a ferret who is so
involved with the task at hand that it cannot hear you come upon them, and
the one that just can't plain hear you coming.

Mushu is my first and only deaf ferret... and it is because of my
experiences with the hearing able group that I can tell you that she is
deaf.  Often, I wonder if I am wrong because of the "coincidences" that
occur when I am trying to get her attention and she just happens to turn at
the right moment.  I am fooled many times... but I know what is the truth
in my heart.

So, even though I am torn between not getting some money back (which sounds
rather cold) that I would put back into the "ferret kitty", and the fear
that large ferret breeding companies would start weeding out cutiepie
sweethearts, like my Mushu, if I make too much of a fuss, my complaints
remain minimal.  I would not trade her for the world so it's hard to push
for "getting a discount" when love is involved.  I'm in for the full nine
yards regardless of her condition, or any other I may adopt.

As for vets in general, although many of my brood have been saved if it
hadn't been for your extreme willingness to conquer a problem, and your
valiant efforts in saving a life vying for the other side, I want you to
know, that, given the experiences of most ferret owners, can't you give
us more credit in knowing what we know?

I would surely appreciate it.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur