From:
judy wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:53:57 -0600
I feel really awful about this but I'm not sure if I should.  Here's the
story.

A neighbor of mine (just met him a few months ago) told me he had a ferret
he kept in a rabbit hutch outside.  He said he was feeding her dog food
'cause that's what he thought ferrets ate.  He added that she seemed fine
with it.

Well, I proceeded to tell him that dog food was a major no-no for feeding
ferrets and went on to spout the virtues of Totally Ferret.  I also said
that if he didn't want the little girl then I would love to have her.  When
he said he wasn't going to all the trouble to find TF and added that he
wasn't going to give me the ferret I suggested Iams Kitten food as a good
substitute.  He said OK but added that the poor little girl was staying in
her rabbit hutch.

I talked to him yesterday and asked how the ferret was doing on Iams.  And
he said..."She died 2 weeks after we started her on the new food." I almost
wept.  I told him how to switch her over gradually, I told him to make sure
she had plenty of water and I told him to find a place for her in his house
but I guess I should have paid a little visit just to check her out.

He didn't seem very upset with her death or hold me responsible for it BUT
I feel responsible.  I don't think the abuse laws in Tennessee have any
teeth in them but should I have reported him?  Maybe I just should have
gone and gotten her.  I know, shoulda, coulda, woulda but I still feel
terrible.  Guess I'll just take it as a lesson learned...next time I'll
go check it out and maybe come home with a new fuzzie.

"Next time you feel like criticizing your neighbor try walking a mile in
his shoes.  Then if he gets pissed off you'll be a mile away and you'll
have his shoes."

Judy Wallace
Cloud Nine Ferrets
Dellrose, TN