From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 14:25:50 EST
Hi everyone,
Just writing to apologize for jumping the gun.  I just read today's digest,
Debbie Ricico's comment to be exact and I was quite disappointed with myself
for not putting more thought into the issue of the subscriber who is
considering buying a ferret but cannot afford the cost.  I agree whole
heartedly with Debbie.  I guess I just get excited when I think there could
be more animal (of any kind) with a loving home.  Before I relate that type
of information again I will first advise the person to consider a few
things.  For instance, having a pet is a FULL TIME job.  I have two dogs,
two cats, two birds, a hamster, a boa, a rat and a ferret and it's like
having a house full of infants 24 hours a day, seven days a week!  I love my
babies dearly and wouldn't trade them for the world but everything has its
price.  My fiance' and I rarely go away because we cannot take them all with
us and I do not wish to board them because I'm afraid they will think I am
abandoning them (we have to pay some one to babysit at home-it can get
expensive).  This month I will spend in excess of $250.00 for routine
preven- tative care and in the first two months that we owned the pups
(Dexter and Emily) they cost us $405.00 in medical costs (Giardia).  I
realize that not everyone has as many pets as we do but when you consider
that $325.00 of that was spent on only one dog its an eye opener!  Then
there was my daughters medical bills for similar treatment (Emily was
treated for Giardia but since the vet was not 100% sure of the diagnosis we
were not informed on the suspected parasite and the fact that it could be
transmitted).  Jessica got sick and by the time Dexter could see his own
doctor he was lethargic, dehydrated, and etc and had to spend two days in
the hospital!  It was horrible but I went into this thing with my eyes wide
open.  If you are not willing to go the distance whether its morally,
financially or emotionally then don't go there at all!!

Thanks Debbie thinking ahead

Regarding the anonymous response to Laurel Gilbert:  Well put, I second the
motion!!

Outta here,
        Irena (Lucy's mom)