Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:25:59 EDT
Good morning folkes,

I'd like to add my .02 in here on the subject of small shelters.

Being a small shelter myself,I can tell you it's very time consuming.In
my area,I'm the only one.I cover a tri-state area.

As for a surrender fee,I most of the time don't get one.Why?  Because,the
vets will put that ferret down for as low as $8.00.And most of the HS's
here,either don't want to deal with ferts or don't have the room.Most
will call me to come pick up said fert.Or the person will give the fert
to some mean kids who think it's funny to watch a dog attack the fert.

I don't normally ask for help.I figure that all shelters need help.  That
people should contact the shelter & ask what they can donate.  Until
recently,I have been doing the shelter all by myself for years.  Now,I
have a board of directors & some help.

I work a 40+ hour a week job,have kids(human) & the shelter.My day is
very full.I get to bed about 11 p.m. & get up & started again at 5:30
a.m.  I must keep the sick kids on a schedule.It takes me 2 hours twice
a day to clean litter boxes,cages,do meds.

My computer is so outdated that I'm not even able to use my scanner with
it,dispite a new gadget to make it work.So,my page still needs updating.I
do have someone that helps me with this.She has donated her time to do my
page.I pray daily for the funds to buy a newer computer.

I have some very sweet people that donate their time to help my shelter,
like Val, with her hammie ideas.

I tried to have a ferret festival back in May.It was a flop.Wrong weekend
to have one.But it was so much fun to meet those people that did come.And
they were a true belssing to have them help me out with it,even if we
didn't raise much money.

All the shelters work very hard to care for the ferts in that shelter.
It's not easy.Alot of their own money is used to cover expenses.But they
do it for the love & well being of the ferts.

I'm not to good at writting,so hope everyone understands what I'm trying
to get across here.

Dooks,Sandi
Heaven Scent ferret Rescue/Shelter
http://fuzzyslave.tripod.com