Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:50:26 EDT
On Thurs, June 5 my Jillian crossed the bridge after going into a coma
secondary to insulinoma.  She was 8 yrs old and was first diagnosed in
5/00 when she had a right adrenalectomy and partial pancreatectomy.  She
underwent a second surgery on her pancreas in 11/00 and a left adrenal in
5/01.  She had been stable on pred since first diagnosis until a couple
of weeks ago when she had a seizure during which she was screaming in the
middle of the night.  I took her to the vet as soon as they opened the
next morning.  Her BG had dropped to the 30s.  The vet got her stablized
and added Proglycem to her meds.  On Thurs mornning I went to check on
her and she was limp but breathing.  I took her to the vet asap and she
confirmed the coma.  We decided to help her cross and I held her in my
lap while the vet administered the injection.  This was made easier to
do because of the coma and the fact she had little hair on her trunk.
While I have this ferret shaped hole in my heart I feel so fortuate to
have had 3 years with her after diagnosis.

Jillian is the girl I posted about a short time ago about her nibbling
behavior to my arms and legs.  She must have thought I was something good
to eat.  She came to me from a man I work with at the age of 3.  He had
moved into a place that he couldn't ferret-proof and didn't want to loose
her so I adopted her and so began our time together.  She was best buds
with Cinnamon, who was her age, and Sabrina.  I lost Bree in 9/00 so
Cinnie and Jillian were together.  When Cinnamon took ill in April 02
(shedied in Sept of kidney disease)she didn't want anything to do with
another ferret and Jillian adopted me as her playmate.  Of course, that
wasn't a hardship for me.  And that is also when she began to give me
ferret kisses on the forehead and to nuzzle my earlobes, although she
did occasionally get a little wrapped up in this endeavor<g> ouch!!

So...Sandee, I am sure you have met Jillian by now.  I couldn't post
earlier, too hard to do.  I know Cinnamon and Sabrina met her as well
since they were so good together.  My boy Wriggley, too, though he wasn't
especially fond of Jill here but I know that changes at the bridge,
thankfully.  I can just picture the four of them playing and dooking
together.  Make sure she finds ferratone falls, as that was her all time
favorite, though cheerios and her kibble came in a very close second.
Tell her her Mommy misses her and her nibbling, though I complained about
the hairs that activity pulled at the time.  Oh...and make sure Cinnamon,
Sabrina and Wriggs know that they still occupy a very large place in my
heart as well and I miss them all, a lot.

Ann