From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 22:23:33 -0400
Hello to you all,

Please forgive me in advance if I come on to strong.

I'm a recent owner (owned?) of fuzzies and I obviously live in the FFZ o f
NYC.  It has bothered me greatly that in all of the state of NY a person is
able to legally own a ferret with a permit.  But it is obviously unsafe for
our health to own them within the city limits.  With the recent legal
battles in other states to legalize ferrets, it has made me wonder why those
of us who live in NYC have not been able to do the same?

According to the article in Ferrets USA, there is a contact for this issue,
yet after reapted calls, I have recieved no answer in return.  In addition,
between my friends and the responses I have recieved from varios vets, it
seems that there is large number of illegal ferret owners in the City of New
York.

As a matter of fact, the FML is originated here in NYC.  What I am asking
for is for a possible history and current status of the lagalization of
ferrets here in NYC.  Secondly, it is so hard to believe that with the spunk
and attitude that we New Yorkers are so famous for, we have not been able to
achieve this goal.  I'm more than positive that I/we can receive help from
other FMLers, with experience in this field, in gathering and presenting a
viable case to the Department of Health and/or other City agencies.

As is obvious by my tone, I am quite upset.  Again I apologize for my
bluntness, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but perhaps its time we got up
of our butts and did something about this.  As it is, it's extremely hard to
find a good, knowledgable vet that deals in ferrets.  ( I've ran into one
that said he specialized in ferrets, yet had no clue as to what he was
talking about!)

                                        Upset & Frustrated