From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:04:43 -0700
Hi Susie,

I must say that I AGREE with you wholeheartedly about the Hartz stuff.  I
have been in the Tropical Fish business for 20 years and discovered within
the first few months the "quality" of products they put out, also found the
same with any dog/cat products.  I have always been a fanatic with my fish
and pets.  Hartz is made for mass marketting, and for people who want
inexpensive produts (as in "grocery store" types).  You'd be hard pressed to
find a Tropical Fish store that carries Hartz products, there's a reason for
this.  I suppose there is a place for all in the world of manufacturing out
there, but I don't use anything by Hartz, and if my clients that I do
maintenance for happen to buy Hartz fish food, I throw it out immediately!!
There is hardly any nutritional value to their food at all.  I fear the same
is true of many of their other products and would absolutely NOT use
anything they market for ferrets!  Gads!  the thought!!!!<shudder> Maybe
I'll make someone mad here, sorry about that, but I do speak from years of
experience, and a good example is the fish food, simply compare the
ingredients to Aquarian or the better brands, you'll quickly see a
difference.  Hartz is a big company because they have been around so long
and because the were "first" into the grocery store pet product market, and
have kept a solid hold there.  Ooops, I must admit I do buy a catbrush cuz
it's so soft and the fuzzies enjoy that, but that's the only Hartz product I
ever purchase.  Itchy would never forgive me if I didn't keep his brush in
his cage for him to scratch on :)

Trish