From:
"Robbin Huls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1989 17:21:48 -0500
This issue is really beginning to frighten me.  None of my animals is
vicious or even ill-tempered.  But the cat has scratched people on
occasion (mostly when they touched her tail despite, or perhaps because
of, my warning...she's just real weird about having her tail touched),
and Cocoa Bean Ferret is nippy.  She's drawn blood only once, and,luckily,
it was on me.  She was jumping up to grab a squeaky toy and got ahold of
my finger instead.  She evidently thought it was the toy and held on for
dear life.  By the time the pain hit and I yelled incoherently, she had
let go.  Usually when she nips my hand in play, I say "ouch", quite calmly,
and she lets go and starts licking.  Anyway, the conclusion of all this
rambling is, does anyone know what the laws are?  Do they vary from state
to state?

I called the NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation and asked them some
questions:

*Are owners required to report all bites?

No, the only bites that get reported are those that are to strangers (for
example, the pet store incident), and those that require medical attention.
I have been nipped several times to bleeding by the babies in the pet store.
The DEC thinks I'm extremely, shall we say, um, stupid, not to report the
bites.  My reply is that the bites and scratches are no more serious in
nature than those received by puppies and kittens in the same setting.  The
ferrets in the pet store that I frequent come from a reputable farm and
seem far less likely to transmit rabies or any other disease than the bats
that used to come flying through our open windows in the summer. :-)

*Does NYS recognize the feline rabies vaccine as effective (i.e. if your
ferret has been vaccinated, will they still kill it)?

There is no registered rabies vaccine for ferrets.  They do not recognize
the effectiveness of the feline vaccine.

*Will all ferrets involved in a reported biting accident be destroyed?

Yes.  This is due to several factors.  Cats and dogs involved in biting
incidents are not all destroyed.  Dogs are assumed to be capable of being
provoked into biting (protection of themselves or master).  Cats usually
scratch rather than bite.  Ferrets are considered wild animals (I know,
I know, I tried to disuade him, but he said the state considers them
wild animals...I forgot to ask him how they feel about mice, hamsters,
etc. :-| ) and therefore considered unpredictable and untameable.  Also,
since there is a registered vaccine for cats and dogs, they must be observed
to determine whether or not they have actually been exposed to the virus.
(If this is incorrect, please feel free to say so.  I'm just going on what
the DEC officer told me.)

He further told me that he has no information on vaccines in test (he
suggested I call a vet, but didn't hold much hope since he didn't think
that too many vets were well versed in "wild animals"); that I should call
the Border Patrol for both the US and Canada to find out the crossing
policies; and that *all* the people working at the DEC consider ferrets
to be wild animals, and because it is legal to have them the DEC would not
actively discourage people from keeping ferrets, but definitely do not
*encourage* same.

In regard to the border crossing, in Issue 25, there was a letter from
Shu-Ju concerning a visit to her husband's relatives in CA.  She says that
the "border check" people kept the ferret while they visited the family.
I have travelled all over the North East and upper Mid-West (by car) with
my kids (the dog and the 2 ferrets) and have never run into a border check
in the US.  Your address was WA on the post, did you somehow detour through
Canada, or should I be more concerned about which states consider ferrets
illegal?  Does anyone have a definitive list of which states ban ferrets.

I know that they are legal in New York.  However, you must have a permit,
and they are *NOT* allowed in New York City or the surrounding burroughs.
This is detailed on my license.  I am concerned about this because Jester
and Cocoa have free run of the car for most of the trip, and like to sit
on the dash or back window sill.  They have been seen by police and toll-
operators in many states.  Most in cars just honk and point and smile. Toll
operators and fast food workers cluster around the car and want to pet
them...and, of course, ask lots of questions...Do they get car sick?  Does
the dog try to eat them?  Do they sleep under the brake pedal? (NO, that
was the first rule of the auto...in the driver's compartment once, I move
them and say no, in the compartment again, back into the carrier.)  They
love to travel as much as the dog.  They do seem much more interested than
she in what's going by outside.  Jes likes to sit on my shoulder and nibble
on whatever I have (usually carrot sticks or apples).  Cocoa likes to
torment the dog.

Ack, enough rambling!

TTFN,
Robbin