Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 05:11:29 -0600
Re: Chere McCoy; I do not advocate the abandonment, abuse, or destruction of
ANY animal; however, the policy of the national office of the humane society
leaves much to be desired in its attitude towards domestic ferrets.  This is
an unfair policy, based on hyperbole and misinformation, and singles out and
damages all little beasties, regardless of ANY local shelter's contribution
to the cause.  Something MUST be done to change an attitude that only fuels
misunderstanding of a wonderful pet.

I think you might have a misunderstanding of what I wrote or perhaps I
didn't make myself very clear, but I never called for a boycott.  I believe
I was speaking of an "if, then" situation, and only as an example of what
could be done by a national organization or to overcome biased reporting.
IF they don't change, THEN boycott.  This misunderstanding is
understandable, considering the emotional issues involved.  No one,
especially me, wants to see a pet suffer or die from neglect.  On the other
hand, what kind of damage does such a national humane society policy do to
the image of the domestic ferret?

History is a valuable resource; it teaches boycotts at the local level work.
Your response proves the point; I merely mentioned the act, and you were on
the FML pleading with everyone to ignore my posting.  You mentioned that
each one of us should write the national office and complain, BUT a thousand
letters from ferret lovers carry far less weight than a hundred letters from
local shelters saying, "Get your act together!" Perhaps YOU should write the
national headquarters, and urge other shelters to do the same.  If you
believe in your cause strongly enough to go on the FML and argue against a
hypothetical act of a non-existant organization, then why not go after the
people who are in REALITY causing problems.

I will not play poker with animals lives; I will not bet nor bluff.  I would
ask my local chapter to write a letter to the national office before I did
anything.  Only with refusal at the local and national level would I take
any step towards a boycott at all.  Besides, without a national organization
to coordinate such a boycott, or a membership to vote and carry out such an
event, the argument is moot, and so is your objection.

In the last several days, I have recieved 34 e-mails concerning my remarks
for "unity." Of the 32, 27 were in favor of such an organization, the rest
opposed.  Two of the "opposition" were very graphic in their discription of
my character, but I suppose that is only fair, because I opened my big mouth
on the FML to begin with.  Cheap-shots are part of taking passionate
positions in anything you do, so go ahead, its ok.  Most of the objections
were based on misunderstandings that might have not been made with a more
careful reading of the posting.

Please don't think of this response as a flame; I only placed it on the FML
because it represents an issue crucial to all of us, and that is, "Will I
have to become a felon to keep my beloved pet?" Misinformation feeds
hysteria, and hysteria fuels efforts to outlaw "dangerous" pets.  ANY town
can become a FFZ at any time unless we make our positions known through any
ethical means at our disposal.  I don't like that sword hanging over my
head.  Think about what it really means to have your town or state make a
domestic pet illegal because of biased and unsupported data, then the police
come into your house against your will, and take your pets away from you,
and even arrest you for no good reason.  My heart has ached and my eyes
teared each time I read about a fuzzy going over the Rainbow Bridge.  Its
understandable to feel pain and suffering at a pet's death; will you feel
any different should you lose your beastie to the law?

McCoy is right about a boycott being "terribly disturbing." But so is the
attitude of a national office which threatens our pets by giving ammunition
to the other side.  If this were sexual or racial discrimination, there
would be a thousands pickets in front of the building right now.  This is
species discrimination, and we say "don't rock the boat?" We need to put a
stop to this, and if the only way is to picket or boycott or cause great
disturbances in the force, I say its time we become (drumroll here)
"Pissed-Off Ferret Owners With An Attitude!!" As Kahn said, "Explain it to
them!" (Is it ok to mix sci-fi references?)

On another note, I'll be off the FML soapbox for a while, although I'll be
reading the postings (via SO and laptop), so save your shots until I get
back.  I will have a bowel-resection Friday morning (3rd this year) to
correct a problem suffered long ago and far, far away (not all my stories
are funny; this involves a pissed cow, a barn stall, and showing off...well,
it could be funny...ok, it was funny...) PLEASE keep sending the clips and
sources, and I'll answer all in about a week.  (Surgery is a piece of cake.
The hardest part is missing the fuzzies, but I was given a stuffed toy
weasel that should help a little.)

Bob
Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, and Bear.
Daye says, "Don't worry; mom will sneak us in..."