From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 01:33:20 -0500
Hi Gang,

The other day I posted an interest in gathering up info. on a registry.  I
only got one response - how about more!!!

The one I got sounded very angry about my post.  The following is partial
response to my post and my response to her.

>Amy,
>...Membership in the IFFB has given ferret breeders in Michigan (and
>elsewhere) advertising in national magazines, discounted registration fees,
>a stud book, a best care book and a quarterly newsletter. . . .  But I DO
>GET THE PAPERS OUT IF THEY ARE PAYED FOR.  To enjoy the benefits of the IFFB
>one must first be a member.   ...
>Micki (Wingate)

and my response:

>Micki,
>I purchased a ferret from a breeder in Howell, MI.  His papers were to be
>transfered and sent to me.  This was in November 1996 - when I purchased
>the ferret.  The breeder talked to you at the show about it - and several
>times after - about this purchase and the transfering of the papers (he
>hadn't even recieved them yet).  I never got them - he never got them.  I
>have talked to him several times since.  I am not a member, nor do I want
>to be a member of your registery.  I have heard things about the registry
>that people have been unhappy about - and I will not reveal their names.
>it is nothing at all personal to you - please don't get me wrong.  I think
>it is very hard to run a club and regiistry efficently.

>Amy

Micki goes on to say in her e-mail to me that I am not ammber and I did not
pay her for membership or papers, etc.  As I said, I am not an IFFB member -
and will not be esp. after the e-mail I recieved from Micki Wingate - but
have heard from several breeders that it was not what they expected.  The
two registries that I was speaking of was infact IFFB and NAFA.  I don't
think that they are bad, I just think they are too busy trying to run a
registry AND an association (Micki Wingate also runs the Great Lakes Ferret
Association).  I just think it is too much and they are not able to run the
registries to the best that they could be.  Plus, thru other people, I have
heard unhappy stories - in BOTH registries.  I realize both registries have
had deaths and other personal trammas in the past year, again backing my
"too much going on at once" therory.  I just want to know what breeders and
owners would want in a registry - things they like and things they don't.