From:
"Paula M. Webb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:51:12 -0500
Hi,
I guess everytime I write to the fml it is because someone ticks me off,
and this time is no different.

Today (1/26) while reading the fml I saw a post from Kathy to Lisa.  She
flamed Lisa saying: "Maybe you should have done more research before buying
ferrets you would have known they are predisposed to adrenal disease as
well as other diseases." "Most ferrets make a great recovery after adrenal
surgery provided the surgery was done soon enough it sounds as though you
were in denial about your ferret having adrenal disease."

I am not sure if Kathy and Lisa know each other or not but it did hit a
sore point with me.  I have owned ferrets for exactly one year now.  I
currently have five ranging from 1yr to 4 yrs old.  During the summer one
of my ferrets got sick and I did not realize it.  She was not losing fur
and was eating and playing normally.  The only way I found out that she was
sick was through a friend that was very ferret knowledgeable.  She owns 15
of her own and is used to symptoms.  Sassy's "symptom" was extreme paleness
of the gums and pads which my friend thankfully noticed while visiting.  I
had read everything I could get my hands on about ferrets and disease but I
did not know to check gums and pads.  I have since then learned to check on
a daily basis when taking my babes out of the cage.

I felt very badly and was so scared that I would lose her but she came
through with flying colors.  It did take her a bit to recover and her fur
took weeks to grow back where it had been shaved.  I have learned that
the common symptoms for adrenal are not always what is written on paper
and that sometimes the symptoms that present themselves are not adrenal
although they can appear to be so.  (i.e. friends ferret lost her fur and
she has already had both adrenals removed).

My point is~we are not all perfect.  For the most part peoples intentions
are good and they do their best.  Ferrets can not tell us when they are
sick and sometimes do not show it until it is almost too late.  I would
not want to hurt my babes for anything and I am sure Lisa did not want
to either.  She probably wrote to this list looking for support and some
reassurance and all she got was a kick in the butt.  What is that all
about???  Isn't this forum to help us not to hurt us?  Constructive
criticism is one thing when it can be helpful but hurtful words are
entirely another.

I hardly write to the fml anymore for fear of being abused.  I wrote once
asking for advice and included the fact that I had a toddler as well as
ferrets.  I received HATE mail from someone who would not let up.  She felt
that I should give my ferrets away for fear that my son would kill them.
Finally, I had to lie to her and tell her that I traced her email and that
if she didn't leave me alone I would call the police and an attorney.  That
certainly is no fun.  I enjoy reading the fml and learning from all you
knowledgeable people, but I really dislike reading posts from fmlr's that
think they are so perfect and can do no wrong.  Caring and loving for
ferrets is a learning and fun experience.  I don't know about the rest of
you but I think I learn something new every day from these little guys and
gals and the enjoyment I get from them is never ending.  Don't put people
down who are also learning.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Sorry for the length of my post but I really needed to get that off my
chest.  Thanks for reading!!!!!!!

Hugs and kisses to all the furrkids out there.
Paula and the furry five.