Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:54:59 -0600
Hello to my FML Family and Dr. Williams,

I very badly need your advice and two cents worth: today we have decided
that little Fang will need to have another surgery; ( had partial
pancreatectomy and right adrenal removed last Feb.)... this time a
nodulectomy, for his returning insulinoma.  We have decided to go ahead
with surgery largely due to his recent signs of adrenal, also.  Regina
posted about her Cully running back and forth to litter boxes, acting
confused and stressed.  This was her only hint that he had adrenal.  This
is what Fang has started to do, and his little feet have lost some hair and
look more pink.  His little tail looks pretty sparse near the base, but no
big bald spots.  Under his fur, his skin looks more pink in sections (not
as orange as some have posted), and we think his prostate is swollen.  It
is difficult to be sure, because he already has so much fat in the area due
to the pred.  (and he has only been on .5cc once a day this time around).
His BG was down from 74 to a 54 today after being on this dosage.  We could
just increase the pred and try to treat the prostate (and adrenal), but
feel that it would be better to go in before everything just gets worse.

Dr. Williams has always referred to *a healthy* ferret being a good
candidate for repeat nodulectomies, etc.,We are too afraid to sit back
and let him get worse.  Then surgery would NOT be an option.  I don't
understand (unless it is the money factor) why so many of you do not
attempt to have nodulectomies done.  It seems as if most just go with the
pred and proglycem alternatives.  Is it because there are not enough ferret
knowledgeable vets out there that you are comfortable with ?  It if is the
cost, I understand, but for us, we will somehow find a way.  (and we are
NOT wealthy).  I guess what I am trying to find out is, if this was your
baby, would YOU risk another surgery?  I think if it wasn't for the
possible adrenal and prostate swelling, we might just stick with the pred
also.  As you can tell, I am very afraid that Fang could have trouble
pulling through the surgery, (he needed a donor last time due to more
invasive surgery which also included a liver piece removed for biopsy)
but I am just as afraid NOT to give him this chance.

We are looking for a donor to have ready just in case.  My vet doesn't
think he will need one this time, since we are using laser this time for
the nodules, and not taking any more pancreatic tissue.  For the adrenal,
he would probably cut, even though the cryosurgery was used for the right
adrenal last time we were in there.  We still need a donor ready just in
case .  HAS ANYBODY TRIED THE OXYGLOBIN for donor blood that was mentioned
at the 2000 Symposium?  If we don't find a donor, would this be okey to
use if we had to?

I need your advice soon, as we will try to schedule his surgery for next
week.

love, and thank you for any advice you might give!
Lizzi and little Fang (who doesn't want to miss Christmas)