From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 06:27:33 -0400
Someone recently posted that they left flyers in the mailboxes of people
who weren't home when they were leaving flyers all over town to help find
their lost ferret, which was followed up by another post stating that
it's illegal to put anything in a mailbox unless it has postage.  I would
suggest simply leaving the flyer at the front door.  A lot of homes have
two front doors, the first one usually being unlocked.  Just open the first
door slightly, place the flyer along the door jam, and close the door.  The
flyer will be held in place.

First, yes it is illegal to put anything in a mail box.  Is federal
property on the inside, and yes it HAS to have due postage to be inside a
mail box.  As to putting flyers on people's homes, that also is a bad idea.
Is extremely irritating for someone to put a flyer on my home without my
permission.  And I do not give permission to anyone to put their garbage,
ads, or anything else on my property.

Several reasons for that.  My property is not for the use of the general
public.  Is not a posting board for anyone who feels like they want to
tack something up.  This also could and is used by crooks who paste a
'flyer' on a house and wait to see how long it stays there.  A great sign
that someone is or isn't around and a break in occurs.

Just is not a neighborly or prudent thing to do.  Homes are other person's
property.  Respect that.

Telephone poles are fair game.  The fert most likely will not travel far,
so polling the residents and then handing them a flyer would be more
effective, legal, and respectful.  It can avoid charges of littering,
trespass, and public nuisance.

Gordon, Byte-me and Nibble-ed