From:
Norma-ann Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:19:04 -0400
For a very long time now I have kept my feelings to myself when I have
disagreed with what someone posted on the FML.  I've done this because, I
think, a lot of the time the person may have not really meant to say what I
thought they were saying and, more often, I just haven't wanted to vent my
anger on the entire FML.  Yet, I think I am just as entitled to my opinion
as anyone else is to theirs and so...

When James <otter> writes that using the word "murder" to refer to the
tragic fate of those three little ferrets in NJ "suggest a loss of
perspective", and that the word should be, somehow, saved to refer only to
the tragic deaths of -people- at the hands of others...i have to disagree.
James said something to the affect that if we use this word to refer to
ferrets, than he would have no language left to use if they came after his
son.  Well, James, my ferrets _are_ my children and I love them more than
you could possibly imagine.  I have no intention of having human
children...frankly, i like the furry kind better.  And, if anyone recklessly
cut their little heads off I would call it murder, mourn, and resent you for
saying that their lives did not matter as much as yours (or your son's).

I also believe that "words matter" and that is why i will not say that those
ferrets were "destroyed".  Animals are not our property.  We cannot destroy
them as we would a "thing".  Animals have as much an inherent right to life
as people and to say otherwise is to display intense egotism...in my
opinion.

BTW..."Murder" is also defined as "killing that is morally reprehensible and
brutal"...are you going to tell me that wasn't the case in NJ (and in all
the other instances where innocent animals have had their heads cut off)?

--Norma-ann,
  President of SOFA
  and _MOM_ to Molly, Leo, and Maggie...
  _STEP-MOM_ to Oedie and Beckett.