From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:44:44 -0400
Hi X,
No, old age is not a disease.  However as ferrets get older they are prone
to 3 big problems.  At roughly 3-4 years of age, we start to see adrenal
gland disease problems.  The thin hair on the tail and rump are suggestive
of adrenal gland problems in Glacier.  As they reach 4-5 years of age, we
start seeing insulinoma problems.  The weight lose, and weakness in the
rear legs are suggestive of an insulinoma causing low blood sugar levels
(hypo- glycemia).  As they reach 5 and above, we start seeing lymphoma
problems.  Again the weight lose and weakness in the rear legs could be
from lymphoma.  Thus it is time to do some testing to find out what is
actually causing Glacier's problems.  The easiest way to check for an
insulinoma is to do a fasting blood glucose test (i.e., remove food for 4
hours then take a small blood sample to check his blood glucose level).
Simple and inexpensive test!  To test for lymphoma, I would due a CBC
with a panel.  This is a screening test that can sometimes find abnormal
lymphocytes or abnormal lymphocyte numbers in the blood sample.  Sometimes
x-rays, ultrasound, lymph node biopsy, organ aspirate, and/or organ biopsy
will be needed to diagnose lymphoma.  Yes, it can get expensive to confirm
lymphoma.  Anyway, a fasting glucose is a good place to start, followed by
a CBC and panel.  Then additional testing as needed.  I would also start
treating his adrenal gland problem with Lupron (or melatonin).  Many times
adrenal gland disease will make a ferret lethargic and cause some muscle
loss.  Plus in males, adrenal gland problems can cause an enlarged prostate
problem that can prevent him from urinating.  This is painful and can be
fatal.  Better to prevent than to treat a prostate problem!

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

PS yes, the age ranges are just general guidelines.  Ferrets of any age
can get lymphoma and young ferrets can have adrenal gland and insulinoma
problems too.