From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:50:19 -0800
Hello; I'm hearing lots of discussion about HSUS the last couple of days,
and it seems like a major point that was posted last month was lost in the
aeither along the way...  Rather than poorly paraphrase the original post,
I'll just snip the most pertinent part & post it here since it so widely
seems to have been missed or forgotten.  It is a major change on the HSUS
stance on ferrets, and I already sent them a thank you for changing their
posture in such a major way.  This is not easy for many people or most
organizations to do, and I think they deserve to be thanked, as well as the
ferret people who worked behind the scenes at the EXPO.  These silent heros
are :

>> Howard Davis for L.I.F.E.; Chere McCoy, founder of Ferret Friends
Disaster Response International; Troy Lynn Eckart, L.I.F.E. rabies
coordinator and founder of Ferret Family Services; Pam Grant, founder of
STAR* Ferrets; Jeanne and Floyd Carley of CDFA; and Stephanie and Rick
Sheme of Ferrets Etc.<<

Three cheers for all!!  Thank you for a lot of work that I think will make a
major change for the good in the battle for legalizing California.  I
believe a major factor that defeated the vote last year was Ms. Lamb's
appearance with the infamous bite case, and that will not happen again!  :)

(excerpt from).:        3/18/96 FML #1511:

We are pleased to report that we have just been informed, in a personal
communication from Ms. Armstrong, that the HSUS has revisited its position
on legalization of ferrets in California.  This new position could well
signal, in our view, the beginning of a new era of amicable and mutually
supportive ties between the ferret community and the nations largest animal
protection organization.

Ms. Armstrong said in her letter that although HSUS recognizes there are
indications legislation will eventually pass changing the status of ferrets
in California, it remained concerned about prospects for their exploitation.

"We would not oppose legislation that legalizes the possession of ferrets as
long as that legislation includes the following safeguards:

[Moderator's note: Remainder of excerpt deleted to save space - you can
read the whole thing in issue 1511.  BIG]

Sincerely,

        Gary & the gang of fur

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.