From:
"Rose, President, LOS, PA chapter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 1995 03:06:00 UTC
To James Kramer
 1.Are there any breeders actively trying to raise more disease-resistant
 ferrets by introducing imported animals into the mix?

answer: YES. The Legion Of Superferrets National along with several
 affiliates is working along this line.

2. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of ferrets eventually do get
 sick enough to require surgery?

answer: Too many these days.  But, from my compiled information from owners
 and veterinarians, alike....more likely to be early altered, farm bred than
 private breeder keeping track of lineage.

3. Can anyone recommend any animal health insurance providers for ferrets?
 I've seen pamphlets for cats and dogs at the vet, and would like to get a
 plan for my kit.

answer:  Sorry, I've checked on at least a dozen companies who offer this
 type of insurance, across the US and NONE cover domestic pet ferrets.  One
 or two have stated that if the interest were high enough they might consider
 including ferrets some time in the future, however.

Rose Smith
 President, Legion Of Superferrets National