From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:09:19 CST6CDT
May I recommend that everyone that has a show or fun day or any ferret
related activity have an ECE hand-out available?

It is important that everyone attending ferret events receives this info
just in case.  It's a good idea to copy and pass it along to your vet too.

I have a 2 page hand-out on ECE I'd be happy to mail or email to anyone that
is interested.  One side has info on ECE and a few recipes and the other
side contains recipes from others.  If I email it you can format it as you
would like.

Adrenal surgeries & Vets - For those following our posts you will know that
we have had 4 adrenal surgeries within the same number of months and I'm
happy to report that they have all been successful thanks to the expertise
and caring of our vets Dr. Snyder and Dr. Gratton.  Years ago a rescue had
adrenal problems but the local vets didn't know much about ferrets, sadly
Sissy did not survive so I was apprehensive when it came to surgeries (we
had other surgeries that were also unsuccessful with this vet).  The best
thing I did for these little ones is to switch to our current vet.  Finding
a vet that is willing to learn all he/she can about ferrets is very
important.  Some vets prefer dogs and cats and that is their privilege.
That isn't to say we shouldn't trust vets that haven't treated ferrets
before, they do need to learn, but we need to know they have a genuine
interest and caring for this type of animal and for our emotional bonding
with them.  We can help inform by bringing the information we find to them,
whether it is from the FML, FAQ, Journals, Magazines or other vets and
people.  We can inform ourselves by reading and keeping copies for
ourselves, and talking with others that have had similar experiences.  Vets
that feel uncomfortable with us or don't accept the information may not be
the ones to treat our ferrets.  Remember that even though they are the
medical professionals, we are the ones that are responsible for the care and
welfare of our ferrets.  Don't be afraid to question vets on their ferret
knowledge and about understanding emotional bonds.  Yes, vets must keep a
distance, for how could they continue in their daily practice if they
didn't, but that does not mean they should not care about the animals and
humans.

Hugs to all.  tle