Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:02:23 EDT
Thank you all for your replies to hoarders and shelters and
breeders/shelters. It is always wonderful to learn something about the
little ones.

I know that there are people who don't care for PETA. Several people
wrote of how this group could not have helped in the Utah rescue. But
they did. I was the one who called them. I was the one they called back
once they were there. The group that had the ferrets after taking them
out of appalling conditions would not talk to any of us until PETA
came.

I can understand why people may not like them. At one point, they wrote
a letter saying ferrets should be set free, I believe. And they believe
that people are so cruel to their pets that there should not be pets.
Honestly? It is not hard to see why part of their group might feel that
way.

I apparently hit a sore spot just writing the name PETA. I had donated
a good $1000 a year back then to them each year before I hit pre
retirement years. And I purchased a number of their products. I had
written to them on various topics to thank them for one rescue or
another I read about. And I am truly grateful I was a member. They
spent their money to fly into Utah to make it possible for this large
ferret rescue to take place.

I understand why you might dislike them. I have read of several people
in their group picking up dogs saying they would transport them to
other shelters, then euthenizing dogs. And I am sure that there are
elements of PETA that let go of mink at mink farms to starve to death
in a few weeks rather than suffer for years. I could go on and on and
on and on concerning the outstanding things they have done. But no.
They are far from perfect...as are we all.

Whatever your beliefs or feelings...they DID do this one thing in Utah.
I cannot change that. I don't know why people would rather a lie. There
is good and bad and shades of gray in most of us, and in most groups.
That is just life.