From:
Greg Toope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:33:21 GMT
Hi!  Daralynn here.  By the time I am done with this you guys are probably
gonna be sick of me, but my main concern is the good health of our furry
friends....

I have been hearing of people feeding their ferrets peanut butter, candy,
icecream, etc.  This is not good.

The only book I refer to (because it is the only one I have read through),
"A Practical Guide To Ferret Care" by Deborah Jeans, warns against these
foods for ferrets:

   - Dog food (does not meet nutritional needs-too high is ash too low
     in protein)
   - Chocolate (can KILL them)
   - Sweets (really BAD!)
   - Salty food (really BAD!)
   - Dairy products (can cause DIARRHEA)
   - Bones (cause intestinal blockage and possible death)
   - Vegetarian cat food diets (ferrets are MEAT eaters)
   - Soft sticky treats (will cause TARTAR build-up on teeth)

In the book she brings out that as long as your ferret is getting a high
quality kitten/cat/ferret food, most of its vitamin needs are already met.
So for treats keep it to mostly veggies and fruit please!

For those of you wanting to know some snacks that are alright.  This is what
is in the book.  DO NOT EXCEED ONE TEASPOON PER DAY.  Ferrets have no self
control when it comes to a treat they like.

     1 tsp.- finely chopped melon (no seeds)
      4-6  - sugar and salt free cheerios (I have no idea where you get
             these)
     1 tsp.- chopped broccoli
     1 tsp.- chopped cucumber (without the skin)
     1 tsp.- chopped green pepper
     1 tbs.- cooked egg
     1 tbs.- cooked meat (especially chicken liver)

Thanks for reading,

Daralynn and Raiden (my furry rat)

[Moderator's note: Ms. Jeans' book is a great book in some respects, but
you will find differences of opinion in a many areas.  If only there were
such hard and fast rules!  BIG]