From:
Helen Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:46:59 +0100
Hi

We did a second visit to the vet today with my insulinoma suspected ferret
Hubert.  They did an ultrasound and a x-ray.  They didn't find anything on
the ultrasound (they primarily looked at the adrenal, kidney & pancreas).
The x-ray showed bronchiel pattern which puzzled the vet (and me) a bit, he
had shown no signs of coughing, he did a have a cold a few weeks back.  As
the vet said if it's not do to a cold it could be asthma and he had no
knowledege of asthmatic ferrets.  Anyway surgery could be risky if it is.
Anyone with knowledge about this?  Besides this we discussed the risk with
surgery, from the vets point of view the operation it self is safe with an
experienced surgent, he was more worried about the post-operation care.  (I
remember Lynn wrote something about this a few faiml's back but I cant find
it)  He said it common for dogs to develop an pancreas-infection and also
they need close follow up on the glucose level a couple of days after
surgery.  Could anyone help me and my vet on specific post-operation
partial pancreastomi.  Especially valuable if it's compared with dogs and
cats.

Regards
Helen, Hubert, Todd, Alf, Otto, Simba