From:
Richard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 17:18:00 MDT
Wow!  I had no idea there were so many fellow ferret-maniacs out there!  And
I thought we were .  .  .  well, unusual, in our obsession with these small,
furry critters!

Of our current gang of five, three are rescue ferrets.  As the woman who
runs the shelter says, "The average ferret-maniac owns nine ferrets.  When
you decide to become average, please advise." However, considering that the
latest addition - Mad Max the Wonder Weasel (aka The Ferret From Hell)
counts for about four "normal" ferrets, I'd say we're pretty close.  .  .  .
Allow me to introduce you.

Two-year old Mad Max, silver-mitt, wild, raisin-begging ball of energy.
Speaking of ferrets with a passion for, shall we say, feminine hygiene
products, Max has an extensive tampon collection which he keeps under the
stove.  Unless, of course, it is threatened, in which case, he carries them,
one-by-one, to an alternate hiding place upstairs.  So far, not in front of
any guests, however.  Needless to say, Max looks forward to "that time of
month" far more than I or my SO do.  His will also wag his tail, on command,
for a raisin.

Ruby, silver, our first rescue ferret of unknown age (5?) who holds a
special place in our heart.  She was evidently an "only child" and the
adoption of the other kids has been hard on her.  She has managed to make
friends with everyone except Max, who still beats her up regularly.

Pippin, 2-year old sable female.  Loves everyone, everyone loves her.
Sweet, wonderful, and heavily into "weasel wardancing." Pippin came from the
pet store at six-weeks old because we just couldn't resist.

Kirby, one-year old sable male, was given to us by acquintances who decided
they no longer wanted him.  They just dropped him off one day, and there he
was, standing on the front steps with his little suitcase containing his
ferretone and shampoo.  He's a little .  .  .  slow (our "special needs"
child).  But what a sweet cuddler!  He follows everybody around like a pesky
little brother.

Twosers (pronouned like you're saying "trousers" with a lisp), older than
God.  Twosers, despite having adrenal surgery, is still bald, but also
blind, deaf, and toothless.  She is fed all the "weasel mush" she cares to
eat, which is a lot.  She trots around the house, quietly dooking to
herself, so she still seems to be enjoying life.  Any special advice out
there regarding geriatric ferts?

Which brings me to a question: why is it that in so many of these postings,
everyone has such young ferts (frequently under a year)? What is happening
to all the oldies but goodies?

Chris & Rick
Mad Max, Pippin, Kirby, Ruby & Twosers
Fiesty the Cat (I'd rather drink out of the toilet than drink weasel water!)