From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:52:14 EDT
>Another person posted the theory/rumor that MF had to kill a lot of their
>breeders due to an ECE outbreak and therefore they had to ship the promised
>amount of kits from fewer parents.  If this were the case, there should be
>an increase in the price charged as well (above and beyond the normal
>inflation that the other breeders are charging).  Law of supply and demand:

Okay, let me say up front that I don't completely believe this ECE at MF
theory at the time being, especially given what Sukie was told by her
friend/acquaintance who works there.

However, let's say that it is true though, for a second ... just for the
sake of debate.  MF would probably want to *hide* the fact that it is losing
a lot of ferrets and shipping younger kits.  Therefore, it would be in their
own best interest to *not* raise their prices, as that would only signal to
pet store owners and potential buyers that something is going on.

True, this would mean that they would take a loss for the moment ..  but
that would probably still work out better for them in the long run that
making people suspicious of what was happening by raising their ferret
prices.  There *are* situations where a "manufacturer" will *not* pass on
higher prices (particularly only *temporarily* higher prices) to the middle
man and/or consumer.

- Ela