From:
Carol Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:00:00 -0700
Spring for the Vita-Mix.  I have been making Bob C.'s Chicken Gravy
the pressure cooker way, as detailed in the Triangle Ferret Lover's
newsletter.  I've tried a couple different ways but none get it as smooth
as the Via-Mix.  First I take use a good 11 cup Cuisinart food processor
to chop up the bony parts which have been pressure cooked and use the
Vita-Mix for final smoothing.  And it will never overheat and smoke.  Do
add enough water or plain (not canned, salty) chicken broth from previous
cooking to thin it enough to make a whirlpool and let it run a minute or
two.  Dump it through a regular strainer in to the large bowl.  An 8
quart bowl or large pot is essential.  With a Vita-Mix you can make
people soup from cold ingredients by the friction created from running
it for a few minutes.

Also you can take your dry kibble, put about a cup or two, not more, in
your regular blender and make instant food by putting the powder through
a strainer.  There will always be some that won't finish getting chopped.
Just keep the powder in a jar or tub.

(I have not put the whole bones directly in to the container because the
polycarbonate container will eventually get etched.  Otherwise I would.
The old one is stainless steel.)

I have an older Vita-Mix that mostly I use for garbage grinding, a
rummage sale find.  I tried putting the bones in that and it was fair but
they didn't get as well chopped as the food prcessor does.  By checking
around, even thrift stores and eBay you should be able to get these
appliances somewhat cheaper than new.  I even have a spare Cuisinart I
found at St. Vinnie's for $2.  It had been overheated and it needed a
cleaning but it works great as a spare.

Good luck with your soup makiing.  And when not making food for ferrets
you can use it for your own food, too.

Carol Owens