From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 23:23:07 -0500
Sorry for the delay in posting this list.  Life with an infant has been
amazingly hectic, and keeps eating up my time!

The following is the current list of FFZs, or Ferret-Free Zones, that I
know of, as of 12/8/94. I urge all FML readers to add to it, in an effort
to compile a better and more comprehensive list!  (My information is only
as accurate as the information I'm given.)

In addition, legal action or disinformation campaigns are always popping
up.  Also, people frequently are asking where permits or licenses are
required to keep ferrets.  I've listed below what I know of, or have heard
of.  Let's put our heads together and update this list, which we can then
have available for all who ask.

Good news: ferrets are now legal in both the city AND county of Baltimore,
Maryland, and the movement to ban ferrets in Cobb County, Georgia, has
been defeated.

Good/bad news: Take St. Paul, MN, off the FFZ list.  However, I've had
confirmation that though St. Paul allows ferret ownership with proper
permits, said permits can be difficult to obtain -- due to the fact that
if your neighbors don't like ferrets, they can prevent your getting a
permit!

Bad news: I've had confirmation that ferrets are illegal in Franklin
County, OH, Columbus, OH, and Tulsa, OK :-( Also, I just learned that
Newport, KY, recently banned ferrets, along with snakes and wolves.
Sheesh.  :-( :-(

A note to explain the list of Texas cities where ferrets are legal: no, I
don't intend to compile a comprehensive list of Ferret *Legal* Zones, but
there seem to be so many FFZs within the state of Texas, I thought I'd
include the names of some cities where they are explicitly legal.  Should
I continue to include this?  Until we have something approaching a
definitive list of FFZs, it might be best to continue to list them.  Any
thoughts?

I'd also like to expand a bit more on licensing requirements for the
various states, when there are additional strictures such as in Rhode
Island -- also if a license is good for an unlimited number of ferrets, or
whether it's per animal, etc.  I recently learned that Evansville, IN,
requires permits for ferrets, but have no other information than that. Keep
those cards and letters coming! :-)

---------------------
Ferret-Free Zones (FFZs)
   Definition: states or localities where ferrets are currently known to
be banned or illegal, or which are known to be unfriendly to ferrets (i.e.
while ferret ownership may not be banned by statute, administrative
rulings against ferrets may be in effect; de facto rather than de jure
illegality)

California
Massachusetts
Michigan
Hawaii

New York City, NY (including Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens)
  Technically not an FFZ, as there is no law or ordinance that prohibits
the keeping of ferrets in NYC.  However, an administrative ruling by
Public Health authorities prohibits ferrets on grounds of their being
"dangerous to humans, especially small children".  They are currently
being sued about this.  Ferret fanciers should be cautious, as ferrets
have been known to be confiscated and euthanized.  On the other hand, the
Animal Medical Center, a haven for ferret health research and treatment is
located in NYC.  Go figure.

Minneapolis, MN
  The same situation as NYC: no law against ferret ownership, only an
administrative interpretation of an ordinance which prohibits the keeping
of dangerous wild animals within the city limits.  Tickets issed under
this ordinance have been successfully challenged twice.

Hopkins, MN
    Ferrets are not addressed in local ordinances, but apparently policy
changes depending upon who you are talking to.  If not an FFZ,
at least inhospitable to ferrets -- approach with caution.

Golden Valley, MN
  Does not ban ferrets, but has a very narrow listing of animals which by
ordinance are allowed.  Action is not taken against ferret owners unless
there are multiple complaints or a bite incident.
  According to Randy Sellers, "This is the home of the Hennipen county
Humane society which has a very anti-ferret attitude.  It is the only HS
in the Metro area which will not work with rescue and adoption attempts.
Ferrets are considered unsuitable as pets and euthanized within two hours
of being surrendered.  The same is true for 7 breeds of dogs including
great danes and dobermans."

Bloomington, MN (ban expected to be lifted by year-end)
Burnsville, MN (ditto)
Washington, DC
Salt Lake City, Utah
*Newport, KY (new to this list)
Ft. Bragg, NC
North Richland Hills, TX
Dallas, TX
Ft. Worth, TX
Plano, TX
Coppell, TX
Mesquite, TX
San Antonio, TX
Beaumont, TX
Franklin County, OH
Columbus, OH
Tulsa, OK
Farmers Branch, TX

There are other cities in Texas where ferrets are illegal -- could you
Texas folk apprise us of the names?

Many military bases ban ferrets -- please chip in with more names here!

Places where legal action or disinformation campaigns concerning ferrets
is or has been taking place:
New Hampshire
Kansas
Salt Lake City, Utah

Places where legal action has taken place in the recent past:
Pennsylvania
Cobb County, Georgia

Texas cities where ferrets are legal:
Austin
Bedford
Irving
Haltom City
Watauga

Places where permits or licenses are required in order to own ferrets:
New York State ($10/year)
     -- Ferrets may be kept legally in Nassau County with proper license, but
     may not be sold or advertised
     -- Ferrets are legal in Suffolk County with proper license
New Jersey ($10/year)
Rhode Island ($10/year) -- with the following requirements:
     -Proof of rabies and distemper vaccinations, proof of spaying/neutering,
     and an affadavit stating there are no children under the age of 2 years in
     the household.  Breeding is illegal.
Illinois (free)

St. Paul, Minn. -- requires a permit to keep exotic animals which is a
one-time $25 fee per household. Re-inspections are every other year.
Requirements include: current health certificates, an on site inspection,
and written consent from 70% of the neighbors within 150 feet of your
property that they don't mind you're having the exotic animal.  This last
is constitutionally unsound and has been dropped as a requirement in St.
Cloud and Duluth and is being challenged in the courts in St. Paul.  Also
being challenged is whether or not the city has the right to regulate a
domestic species as an exotic animal.

*Evansville, IN (new to this list) -- I have no further info on this at
this time.

---------------------
Please add to this list!  Rather than post to the FML, please e-mail me,
and I'll compile and post the summary.  I can be reached at
[log in to unmask] or on CompuServe at 71257,3153

My thanks to the following people who have contributed to this list:
Deborah See, K. "Soup" Campbell, Bob Raymond, Howard and Ann Davis, Laura
L'Heureux, Robert Rhode, Michelle & the MASKeteers, Debra Thomason, Jan
Lovell, John Gaver, Gale Putt, Denise in Minnesota, Travis Daniels, Len
Jaffe, Jim Murray, Jody in Oklahoma, Randy S. Sellers.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

--
         Katie Fritz -- Internet: [log in to unmask]
CompuServe: 71257,3153--S2 Ferrets Section Co-Leader, Animal Forum--GO PETSTWO