From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1992 11:54:48 -0400
Okay, I called the United Vaccines place (1-800-283-6465) and they were
extremely friendly and helpful. They are the primary supplier of
vaccines for mink farmers in the area and since mink and ferrets are so
close in psysiology, you can use the same vaccines.

The Fervac-D is (according to their representative) is the only vaccine
so far which has been manufactured specifically for ferrets, and is
(supposedly) the only vaccine currently licensed and which has USDA
approval for use in ferrets.

The Fervac-D comes in a 10-dose vial for $11.95. As Nancy stated, kits
are supposed to be vaccinated at 8, 11 and 14 weeks and annual boosters
after that. Adult ferrets with no history of vaccination (I would assume
this includes ferrets with no history of *Fervac-D* vaccination, too)
should have one dose with a booster three weeks later and annual
boosters after that.

I asked him if this vaccine was usable in dogs, since I'd heard that
this new racoon-based distemper was affecting (or could affect?) dogs,
too. He said that it was not licensed for use in dogs so he couldn't
give me any statistics or recommendations for use in dogs. But a group
of greyhound breeders has been using this vaccine in their dogs for an
unspecified length of time (it didn't occur to me to ask how long) and
they have had no ill-effects from it.

I asked him if he knew just how much cross-over there was between
Fromm-D and Fervac-D and he didn't know. (I was interested in knowing
how similar the formulas were, if they protected for only one kind of
vaccine, etc.)

They will accept orders from individuals. They will send it COD or
pre-paid with a credit card number. Shipping is $5. They send it UPS,
and if it's hot, packed in ice in a styrofoam container. He said I
should get it 2nd day (which didn't sound like the "2nd day" UPS
shipping, but more like an endorsement of how quick the UPS is ... I'll
let you know how quickly it gets to me if you're interested).

I told him to include a catalog, so I may get more info soon. He said I
should have the vaccine by the end of this week.

I would be interested to know if others on the net (especially
vet-types) would recommend giving this to my dog. It's certainly cheap
enough. The dog was vaccinated at the vet's and I don't have the exact
vaccines here with me.

Is this affecting cats at all?

--Barb--