From:
"Michelle P." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 1994 00:59:37 EDT
Hi Gang!

This is something that has been on my mind for a while now,
Can one of our esteemed vets tell me why whole male ferrets lose a lot of
weight when they go into season????  Or is it just mine that do that?
I have 5 unaltered males that will drop almost half their body weight each
time they go into season.  One in particular goes down to almost nothing, and
as soon as he goes out of season he'll gain it all back.
Is there a biological reason for this? Maybe all those surging hormones? :-)
 And Is there anyway to stimulate their appetite during this time to keep
this from happening? Any medication? An additive to their food?  I've tried
everything store bought, Chicken baby food, Linatone, Nutrical, Sustical, you
name it...If I feed them these things, then they won't eat anything else,
kind of like they can only eat a certain amount of something a day, and thats
it.

Well just curious, I'm battling it out with the 'Problem child' male this
month, and I thought maybe you guys would have some ideas.
I'm starting to consider I.V. feedings! :-)

Take care all,
A ferret kiss a day keeps the blues away!

Michelle and The MASKeteers:-)